Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bikini or not?

Which way to the beach? Will I go in one or two piece? I did 339 ab exercises yesterday. Not joking this time. But there's still a little too much left to pinch, that wasn't there last summer.

Last time I went to the beach with the family, my husband said, "I don't know what some of these women are thinking. They should not be appearing in public in bikinis at this point in their lives."

Well I'm at the halfway point, actually maybe a little past it, unless I live into my 90s. "I can wear a one piece next time," I said.

"I didn't mean you," my husband said.

Great recovery, honey. I feel so much better, white and fleshy and exposed for the first time this summer.

Checking out at the grocery store yesterday, I learned that Demi Moore is showing off a new $500,000 bikini body. She's about my age. Even though I've been called a cougar.(I had to Google it to find out what it meant.) It's not a title I can claim. I don't have to keep up with Ashton Kutcher or anyone else half my age. My hope is to keep up with those I begat at one-quarter my age.

At what point does a woman have to hide or be ashamed of her body? Is it middle age? Post pregnancy? Retirement? How about never. We may not always be Demilike, but a woman should always feel comfortable, sexy, and confident in her skin.

At the breakfast table this morning, we debated which beach to go to. I was only partially involved because I had the Sunday paper out in front of me. "Hey look at that. I can get a full wet suit for $500 in a size 8," I announced.

"You could wear that to Maine today," my husband said.

"Excuse me," I said.

"Because the water will be cold," he said.

Well that's one solution to the one or two-piece solution--one very large piece of full body neophrene.

To impose judgement, standards, on women lead to declining body image and self-worth. If you don't like your body, you don't like yourself. I celebrate a woman who can feel sexy and attractive in sizes above 0 to 4. If those are our standards, once a woman can drive, she can't wear a two-piece bathing suit.

If you've got it, flaunt it. Even if it's at your knees. I'm sure you've got great legs.

1 comment: